Thursday, August 30, 2007

Adding Insult to Injury in Nevada

I am a simple girl. I gain joy from simple things. I am also annoyed by simple things. And as open minded as I claim to be, I sometimes have a very difficult time comprehending when people do things that are completely outside the scope of my experience. For example. My boyfriend hates cucumbers and melons. What? Okay, cucumbers I can imagine, but it's a stretch, especially when it's grandma's cucumber salad, which is soooo good (and my aunt just explained to me the secret of how to make it because she watched grandma next time, so I can't wait to make it now, though since it was a secret, I guess I can't post the recipe.) but melons? How can you not like melons? Did you try salting them? I can't imagine. That's like not liking chocolate. But then, I guess I have put things in my mouth in the past that I was assured was good and people eat it all the time that caused me to twitch violently in an effort not to spit it out. One thing that pops to mind is a fruit from asia that resembles eyeballs. I can't remember what it was called (it was traumatic, I blocked it out) nichi or something like that. And I suppose it's annoying when people go on and on about how good meat is and they can't believe I don't eat it and don't I crave it? (I don't. It's not good. I do like fried fish, but chicken smells gross and beef is like chewing on shoes. What's to like?)

Where was I going with this?

Oh yes. People who function so completely differently from me that I can't understand it.

Oh and George Bush. Yes. George Bush. Here is a man who is so different from me in his behavior, and aparently, his thought processes that he may as well be from a completely different species.

And it's not a primate. Primates make sense. George Bush does not.

So we all remember Roberta Stewart. She may wall go down in Pagan history. If we ever get Pagan private schools, Roberta Stewart will certainly get mention in our Great Pagans in History classes. Let us hope that her name doesn't completely overshadow the others who came before, like that one woman who died before the fight was won whose name I can't remember... see. It's happened already.

So, earlier this week, our fearless leader, George Bush Jr made his way to Reno to meet with families of fallen soldiers from that area.
Check the story
http://www.lahontanvalleynews.com/article/20070830/News/108300034/-1/rss02
Now, this would have been an excellent opportunity for Mr. Bush to meet with Roberta Stewart and say "I appreciate the sacrifice your husband made. I am sorry that you have to fight to get his emblem of faith put on his tombstone. I congratulate you on your victory. You stand as an example to all Americans and the world of what the American spirit is all about. Freedom, equality and the willingness to stand up and fight for both if they aren't freely given."

But no. He didn't do this. What did he do instead? He ignored her. He pretended she didn't exist. He invited her husband's parents and brother to meet with him, but not Roberta. What?

Okay, so maybe it was a mistake. A simple oversight. Not the President's fault at all but the fault of his secretary. Maybe it was. And maybe said secretary just flubbed it. Or maybe he thought surely the President didn't want to be bothered with that woman, but didn't check on it. It seems like the administration likes to do things to curry favor with the President without actually checking. If words can be believed. The VA did make the excuse after all that part of the reason the Pentacle didn't get approved for so long was because they knew the Pres wouldn't like it. But that's really a load of crap too, because this fight has been going on since the '90s and though it may seem like an eternity, Ole Bush Baby hasn't been Pres that long.

You would think at the very least someone would have said, "We better make damn sure to invite that Stewart Woman or she'll be screaming religious discrimination again."

It's really unthinkable that our President said to himself, "You know. If I meet with this woman she'll ask annoying questions. Maybe if I just ignore her she'll go away."
Or that one of his aids or secretary thought that. To think that, and act accordingly would be mindboggling. And mindnumbingly stupid.

Maybe there was no thought involved. Scan the list, come to Roberta Stewart's name, Ohh that's a bad name, skip it and move on.

This administration loves to embarrass itself.

I would like to go on the assumption that this was just a terrible mistake and all the King's men are horribly embarrassed.
I would like that.
Because I cannot fathom that our Commander in Chief is that giant an asshole. And I don't want to try to fathom that anymore than I want to try to convince myself that those eyeball shaped fruits from asia are edible.

No comments:

Post a Comment