Sunday, March 2, 2014

My Heart Day Resolution - Belated

I know this was due on February 14, or thereabouts but I have been having trouble getting my writing done lately. Rest assured, I did dedicate my heart day resolution on time and I actually began working on it a little ahead of schedule. I have proof. But hold on.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out my original post on the subject at http://sacredhearthblog.blogspot.com/2013/02/my-heart-day-resolution-pre-amble.html

Before I begin focusing on this year's resolution, I'm going to review a bit of last year's. Last year I resolved to lose 30 pounds. Did I lose 30 pounds? NO. 

But, I did develop better eating and exercising habits, learned to better manage my stress and reached out to my doctor and learned my thyroid is all out of whack so it's not entirely my fault. So, something was accomplished. In fact, I would say that though the letter of the resolution wasn't exactly met, the spirit of the resolution was met. Although I did not lost 30 pounds, I am firmer, I have more energy and I feel better all around. I'm not going to stress the numbers. I can't afford new clothes anyway. And I think the rest of the weight will come off on its own once this nightmarish winter is over and I can get out in the garden again.

And now, on to this year's goal. 
I am going to learn to draw. 

This is something I've always wanted to do and been frustrated because I "couldn't". On many occasions I have asked, begged, pleaded various friends and family members to draw things for me for various projects I have worked on, offering to pay in many cases, and almost always I am shut down. Or worse, they say they'll do it and never "get around to it". And then I'm all pissed off at my friend or family member, while still trying to be polite because we love each other after all, because they are holding up the show and they don't see what the big deal is. It's time to do it on my own. 

So, we will examine the goal according to the criteria I set forth a year ago.

1. It must be attainable and realistic.
Yes, I think so. My hands shake more than most people, but we'll just call that part of my style.
2. It must be something that results in a tangible, measurable change. That is, I can say here is the proof that I have achieved this goal and point to it.
I will post pictures and we will all say, "Oh hey look how much better she is."
3. It must have a reasonable deadline. In the case of my Heart Day (and other) resolution, the deadline is one year. Yes

It is one thing to set a goal and give myself a deadline but the most important thing is to keep myself on track. These are the steps I will take to do that:
1. I will assign regular check in days to review my progress. I will make this the 14th of each month.- 
I will post pictures that I have drawn and exercises that I have done. I will also let you know what books I am working on and
2. I will create mini-goals to accomplish throughout the year. One per month, to give myself little victories and successes to keep myself positive and so that I am not trying to do everything all at once.
I will think about this, at first it will probably be to complete the exercises in a specific book, then I will give myself larger projects to work on.
3. I will share with you, dear readers, my progress and what I learned in pursuit of my goals. In part to keep myself honest and also to maybe help you out on similar goals. 

Exploring My Goals
I will structure my Resolutions with a series of questions to give me a clear view of what I'm trying to accomplish and what my path will be.

Why do I want to achieve this goal? 
I have always wanted to be able to draw. I could when I was a teenager, when I took a class in High School with an awesome teacher, but I got out of practice.
How will it benefit me?
I will be less reliant on others to finish projects. This will reduce bad feelings between me and others would could help. It will give me an artistic outlet, relieve stress and make my writing more visually appealing, possibly increasing my income.
What are the drawbacks?
It will take time and practice.
How does it fit my values?
Artistic expression is path to Arete for sure.
What are my obstacles?
Laziness, lack of time to practice, frustration when things don't look just right the first time.
How will I measure success?
When I am ready, next spring, to begin working on my series of children's activity books because I am confident enough to actually do the drawings myself. Maybe the books will be next year's heart day resolution!
What are some habits I will need to develop to make this a success?
Taking time to practice, keeping my drawing materials on me at all times so I can sneak in time to practice.
Some mini-goals I can accomplish along the way?
Draw a dog, draw a plant, complete exercises in books, videos, maybe take a class if I can scrounge the money

Check-In
Each month I will post my pictures and notes about techniques I am learning, books I'm learning from.

Here is the first-


This based on exercises from the book:

You Can Draw in 30 Days: The Fun, Easy Way to Learn to Draw in One Month or Less by Mark Kistler
(Highly Recommended)

No comments:

Post a Comment