Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Spiral Scouts in the News

So this is kinda neat. I found an article out of Fresno, California about Spiral Scouts. If you’re not aware, Spiral Scouts is a scouting organization for people of alternative faiths. You know, since the Boy Scouts is all about bigotry and exclusion which is really sad since it’s such a great concept. (The Girl Scouts are a-okay!) Anyway, it’s been around for awhile. According to this article it’s only 9 years old. I thought it was older than that. Anyway, I took my kids to a few meetings a few years back, but I ran into the same old problem of not having anything in common with my fellow Pagans and my kids thought the other kids were all too weird for them. It was also awkward for me being the only working/single mother in a room full of brownie baking homeschooling housewifes. It was, in fact, totally weird. The leader was Wiccan, so she did everything the Wiccan way which also made me uncomfortable. Spiral Scouts groups each do things their own way and the way it was done at this particular group was too heavy on religion that had nothing to do with my religion. Though that certainly wasn’t the Spiral Scouts organization’s fault. And as the article says “According to the SpiralScouts Web site, the organization was created by the Aquarian Tabernacle Church. “While SpiralScouts was developed based on pagan beliefs and practices, it is designed to be adaptable to work with any faith (or to be completely secular) as well.”" I wish this group had gone that way. I thought about forming my own group, but I didn’t want to step on the leader’s toes. As pushy as she was that her way was right, she really was a very nice person- and she’s well-connected. Best not to step on toes. I do alot of bowing out gracefully around here, it seems.

So I quit and started the The Sacred Hearth Circle with a bunch of folks I already knew. We still don’t have all that much in common, but we cooperate.

No comments:

Post a Comment