Monday, May 12, 2008

Pagan Weddings

As you may or may not know, I’m getting married in August (woo!). So yea, I’ve been reading alot about weddings. I came across this article in the Modesto Bee about Pagan weddings and I thought cool! It’s neat to see how Pagan wedding traditions are expanding more into the mainstream. I am (obviously) going to have a Pagan wedding and handfasting and I have invited my best friend from New York, who is Catholic, to spend that week with us. We were talking about the wedding and how I’m only inviting a few select people because I don’t want anybody freaking out on me.

And then she said something that rather surprised me. She said, “Why would anyone freak out? I’ve been doing some reading and the Pagan traditions are so beautiful!” And I thought wow. That goes to show how you take things for granted when you’re inside them. I never thought about how beautiful they are. But yes. They are.

I have read on many different news groups that Pagan weddings, or handfastings are not legal. This, by the way, is bullshit. They are just as legal as Christian, Jewish and Muslim weddings. All you need to do is have two witnesses and a legal clergy sign your certificate afterward. And yes, there are plenty of Pagan clergy to be found. Just look under your area at WitchVox. According to the article there are about 1.2 million Pagans in America today and it seems to me that Pagans have a much higher clergy to layman ratio than any other religious group so you should have no problem finding someone who is ordained to handle to particulars for you. It’s so easy to have a Pagan wedding these days, even the non-pagans are doing it.

So maybe I will have a bigger wedding (or maybe I won’t) and invite Grandma and my aunts and uncles. The plan was only to invite my mom and sisters and Circlemates. But we’ll see how I feel as the date grows closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment